I love a good surprise!
- The plot twist in the movie you didn’t see coming, the kind that makes you think for days, “How did that happen?”
- When you are deeply engrossed in a can’t-put-it-down book and you turn the page only to see the words The End. “No!” You rush to find the next book in the series only to discover it hasn’t been written yet. “Uggghhhh, how can you leave me hanging like this?”
- The random delivery of a gift or flowers from someone who just wants to let you know they care and are thinking of you. This one gets me to the very core - heart melting.
- The knock at the door, when answered reveals a face you haven’t seen in years. An old friend who is in town visiting. The laughs and catching up, all the good feels.
- A card or letter containing an encouraging note, or well wishes, or a message from the heart. Beats a text any day.
- The random act of kindness from a stranger - the kind that restores your faith in humanity. Good people still exist!
Good vibes, positive energy, happiness - the after effects of a good surprise can last for days.
My goal with the challenge this year is to use it as an exercise to write something focused on a particular emotion. I hope to convey that mood or feeling through word choice in the story. I welcome your feedback on what worked or didn’t for you in each piece.